Adding Axis Titles to DojoX Charts
DojoX charting is a very powerful 2D graphics charting solution that works cross-browser. One thing that is an often requested feature is axis titles. I’ve come up with a solution (inspired by a post on the old Dojo forums) that leverages the current API and renders correctly in all browsers. I’ll be using Dojo 1.5 from Google’s CDN plus a local module as I outlined in my local module with a CDN build tutorial.
Using Local Modules With a Cross-Domain Dojo Build
Lately, I have been using Dojo from a CDN as much as possible. There are several reasons to use a cross-domain build of Dojo that are listed here: You get more connections in MSIE, since you can load from another domain. Faster loading. You get increased cacheability/startup if many of your applications use the same installation. Resource loading does not block the rest of the page from filling in as with Dojo’s normal, synchronous loading.
Recently, David Walsh tweeted that I had schooled him. I received several questions about what I had schooled him in, so I decided to blog about it. David was trying to change the behavior of a method of a widget on a page, but for all instances of that widget rather than just one instance. What follows is a lesson on monkey patching. I’m sure there are other tutorials out there about it, but this is more for my sanity (and to get David off my back about blogging) than anything else.
Update on life
And life keeps flying by
It’s been almost a month and a half and my blogging has been quite absent. Here’s what has been happening… Life Our trip to San Jose (last month) went great. We had 4 days to bum around Silicon Valley and the surrounding areas. Since this was a vacation, we decided not to do too much and really only did one touristy thing: we went down to Carmel and 17 mile drive for a day.
My current endeavors
Ok, so I said I would keep up with this blogging thing, but I’m not doing a very good job. It’s been over two months since I last blogged. What the heck is my problem? So here’s the run-down of what I’ve been doing: Work I’ve been steadily plugging away at Master Packing’s web site over the last two months. I’ve been trying to implement interactive features to some fairly boring things.
Man, I’ve been busy lately and haven’t had any time to work on Coaster. I haven’t even really had much time for anything other than work. Although I’ve had fun doing it, it’s been hectic. Most of my time lately has been spent working on converting Master Packing’s current website over to Django so we can quickly develop new applications and easily edit content. I’ve been very impressed with Django’s infrastructure and API, and I’m even more impressed with how the next version is shaping up to look like.